Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sickness & thoughts of OZ

Last night, I rolled over to snuggle with Jason. His skin was so hot I quickly pulled away as though I'd been burned. Cuddling was out of the question. Poor guy has had a fever for the last few days and has tried to sleep through both hot and cold sweats. I got up this morning and went to church, leaving him to sleep. I ran errands at a few places, purchased more Theraflu, and then picked up Gumbo from Q-doba. I know when he's feeling better that I'll get the wife-of-the-year award. I didn't get home until 2pm, but there he was still, curled up in bed. It's funny how you can't really remember what it's like to be sick until you are. I feel that I try to sympathize or say I understand, but it's not until I'm sick again myself that I actually feel & remember what it was like. By nature, neither of us are very sympathetic. For whatever reason, we've both grown accustomed to the "suck it up" or "walk it off" way of dealing with things. It's something my father just can't understand. But for whatever reason, we just try to be tough. Even when we aren't.


A year ago today, we were on the other side of the world. This morning, we flew to Ayer's Rock, I wrote in my journal. The only down-side is the flies. They're vicious and in so many numbers you can't count. Even though every single other person in our group bought a fly net for their face, we won't buy one. We just toughed it out...even though the flies are biting. I found this passage funny because I do remember us toughing out the gazillion flies, but I remember simple our time together more. We toured a vast desert that day, made new friends, took endless amounts of pictures, and closed the day sipping Champagne at the base of Ayer's Rock to view its color-change. Sometimes I think we're both so busy acting tough that we forget we're also big saps. We still need each other when we're sick and you'll find both of us with tears in our eyes if we reminisce about life's little moments, or when we hear a harrowing story about an animal. Well not about flies, but just about anything else!

After our Q-doba, I showed him a picture we took a year ago today. The colors on the rock were beautiful and was by far one of the best times of our lives. While I wish that tomorrow we were once again ridding camels to Sunrise, I'll take the morning in bed sipping Chai with J...even if by tomorrow, we still can't really snuggle...

Photobucket

0 comments:

Follow me!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP