Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Personal: The Baby Nursery

I was never a procrastinator. Until I had a baby. Now I try so very hard to live in each and every moment, I put things off that aren't THAT important. And yet, I think I have to relearn this every week! At first, I felt like having a nursery for Eli wasn't so important as he didn't have his own space when we first brought him home. But as he grew, I could tell how valuable having his own space would be and then I couldn't stop thinking about what that might look like...but as each day went by teaching, feeding, changing, laughing, and loving, suddenly, once again, it didn't seem so very pertinent that his room be perfect. Now that he's 10 months old, it's just about where I want it, thanks to little chunks of time I spent creating it. A bit less decor than I'd planned on, and of course, I photographed it before I finally found his "dream crib sheets," but still, it's my favorite room in the house.

Our first babies (aka the d.o.g.'s) made some sacrifices and gave up their room, which was our laundry room, for Eli. It was Broncos Orange and SO hard to cover. ;) We carpeted the room so he could tumble all day and not get hurt. The stripes on the wall took me a week to perfect (as I'm so awful at measuring and taping), and the shelving almost didn't fit, but I managed to keep his room our laundry-room too. But you can't see it because it's hiding behind white linen curtains in the roomy closet. =) His mobile is a tree branch from a Contorted Filbert my dad cut and painted for me, and I've decided not to discuss how long that took to hang since it's super heavy on one side and let's just say, I may or may not have had a lot of help! But I am the most proud of hanging his mural--by myself!--of origami cranes. I'd seen a huge art piece in DIA done by a woman named Brianna Martray and I was blown away. I knew immediately I wanted to replicate this in my home some day...only, for time's sake, on a microscopic level. ;) And while I struggled with exactly how to hang them (because I couldn't find information on her until after I did it from memory, lol), eventually I found a simple system that worked. I just love it! I'm so very excited to finally share pictures of what I've been working on....but really, this just makes me excited to get my dream home going. I can hardly wait to create a brand new space with my family of three. #butitprobablywontbesoon #haha

A house is made of walls and beams; a home is built with love and dreams. - Author Unknown

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket




Here's a list of the items I purchased for the nursery for those of you DIY-ers. Some items I made, but most were pretty inexpensive. ;) 

Gray Owl: Pier1
White Blanket: Ikea
Cranes: Etsy (& myself)
Baskets & Bins: Wal-Mart
Crib & Ceiling Fan: Costco
Brown Elephant: Real Baby
Changing Table: South Shore
Metal Elephant: Swift Originals 
Carpeting & Paint: Home Depot
Baby Clothing: Gap & Old Navy
Shelving: American Furniture Warehouse
Bird House, Curtain Sheers, & Pillow: Hobby Lobby
Canvas Pictures: Instacanvas (prints of my own images)
Tree Limb Mobile: Hand cut at CreekSide Tree Nursery
Rocking Chair, Crib Bumper, Lanterns, & Sleep Sack: Amazon.com
Sheets, Baby Sanuks, White Linen Curtain, Lamp, & Wooden Boxes: Target



0 comments:

Follow me!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP